INSURANCE IS OUR BUSINESS
Our firm was created in 1975 with the central purpose of serving the insurance industry. Since then we have grown to become one of the premier insurance audit and tax firms in the nation. Our philosophy has always been to offer personalized service to insurance companies, and we still follow that philosophy today. We have built our reputation on high-quality, responsive service for your audit, tax, and consulting needs that is specific to your highly regulated and ever-changing industry. Here’s a few ways we can guide you to new heights.
Insurance companies face a wide array of complex issues, from managing the risks of a successful business to complying with regulatory standards. Our statutory accounting team has years of experience that can give you insights into your company’s financial health, giving you beneficial decision making information. We seek to lift our clients up, rather than bring them down. We function more as an advocate than an adversary, for we truly love to see our clients succeed.
Your organization’s future shouldn’t be trusted to non-specialized financial advice. Our insurance team receives training of the highest caliber to help keep you updated on the latest regulatory issues and changes.
Everyone knows you get what you pay for. But what if you get more than what you pay for? Most insurance companies don’t want to pay a large national firm’s prices, but need more than a corner store’s expertise. That’s where we fit your company best. We offer top-notch service at reasonable prices that can keep your company rising in altitude. Our clients are more than a fee to us, so we continue to serve you throughout the year well beyond the scope of a regular audit or tax preparation.
Created Specifically To Serve The Insurance Industry.
Since our inception in 1975, we have provided quality services to over 150 insurance entities of all types, including:
- Property & Casualty
- Government risk pools
- Captive insurance companies
HOW WE SERVE INSURANCE COMPANIES
When choosing professional advisors to help you navigate the complicated landscape of the insurance industry, you need experienced, knowledgeable professionals. Our insurance group is an integrated team of audit, tax, and advisory professionals delivering sophisticated business solutions to help our clients maximize their growth potential and remain competitive.
While many insurance companies prepare GAAP statements for internal use, statutory filings are required by all licensed insurance companies. These regulations are very different from GAAP regulations. Because of this, only individuals with industry-specific expertise can fully comprehend the impact of different transactions. And without this understanding, it is difficult for an insurance company to operate successfully long term. Our ability to adapt to changing industry reporting standards is directly due to the structure of our firm.
Optimizing resources at Larson & Company does not mean pushing work down to lower level staff, but using more experienced professionals to develop effective and efficient solutions. Our partners and managers have hands-on involvement. Whether it is a quick phone call to ask a specific question or routine advice on an ongoing basis, our partners and managers are available to you, ready to help you find solutions to your most complicated problems and issues.
At Larson & Company, we feel it is important to work closely with each other to give you a seamless service experience. Our large, experienced staff is made up of a dynamic team of audit and tax professionals who are insurance experts. Our employee retention rate is 92%, much higher than the industry average of 80-85%. This gives us the ability to assign the same staff to your audit year after year, saving you time and giving us a better understanding of your organization.
Similar to a traditional insurance company, captive insurance entities are faced with state regulations and constantly changing filing requirements. At Larson & Company, we are dedicated to simplifying your needs in captive insurance. We have highly specialized teams of certified public accountants, auditors, and other professionals ready to serve captive entities of all sizes. We have built good working relationships with regulators to better understand what issues may affect you. We offer timely, responsive service to you year-round, not just during your audit or tax preparation.
Larson & Company belongs to the following captive associations:
- Utah Captive Insurance Association (UCIA)
- Arizona Captive Insurance Association (AzCIA)
- Montana Captive Insurance Association (MCIA)
- Nevada Captive Insurance Association (NCIA)
- Vermont Captive Insurance Association (VCIA)
We currently serve over 150 captive entities with audit and tax services throughout the nation, and are licensed as captive CPAs in the following states:
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
INSURANCE ASSURANCE SERVICES
- Financial Statement Audits – Annual audits are required for most insurance companies. Because of the difference in Statutory and GAAP accounting, it is always prudent to retain an audit firm that is very familiar with insurance accounting and the applicable standards.
- SOC Audits – An internal control audit, these audits are quickly becoming required by more and more insurance companies and insurance-related organizations. We can both help you evaluate the value of this audit to your organization and then perform this audit for you.
- Insurance Department Audit Preparation & Consultation – State insurance departments periodically examine all insurance companies licensed within their state. Because these examinations can be very demanding, insurance companies need to take this into consideration as they make accounting decisions in the periods between these examinations. We can assist you in working with your state insurance department so as to ensure that their examination goes as smoothly as possible.
- Employee Benefit Plan Audits and 401(k) Audits
- Policies and Procedures Audits – We can evaluate internal policies and procedures to help identify strengths and potential weaknesses. Best practices will be used in our evaluation to ensure that your policies and procedures are efficient and effective. For example, we have performed policies and procedures audits in the following areas:
- Billings and Collections
- Claims Processing
TAX COMPLIANCE & CONSULTING
Taxation of insurance companies is especially unique given the distinct federal and state tax treatment afforded them. Companies must devise tax-efficient corporate structures and strategies coupled with operational procedures to maximize tax planning opportunities. With the recent sweeping changes to the insurance industry with the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, it is especially important to have professionals who understand the specifics of new insurance laws. Larson & Company can help you do just this.
You can rely on our experienced team of certified public accountants, and tax professionals at Larson & Company to help you identify opportunities to minimize tax exposure and signal potential tax problems. The stakes can be high and there are a number of areas in which we can assist, including:
- Federal and State Tax Compliance
- Tax Provisions and Disclosures under SSAP 101
- Tax Planning Strategies
For more information contact Greg Denning.
FRAUD PREVENTION & DETECTION
In light of recent fraud incidents, many insurance entities are investigating and implementing fraud prevention and detection measures within their organizations. To aid such entities in this process, we have developed a fraud prevention training seminar that will educate your staff in recognizing and addressing the three aspects of the fraud triangle: (1) perceived pressure, (2) perceived opportunity, and (3) rationalization. Also, our auditors are both qualified and available to conduct agreed-upon-procedures fraud audits. Preventing and detecting fraud is important to your organization and your staff. Our experienced team at Larson & Company is here to help you protect yourself against the devastating effects of fraud.
For more information, contact Andrew Wan.
Salt Lake City, UT
11240 South River Heights Drive, South Jordan, UT 84095
Spanish Fork, UT
765 N Main
Spanish Fork, UT 84660
285 S. 400 E.
Moab, UT 84532
St. George, UT
321 N Mall Drive, Bldg. R
St.George, UT 84790
Las Vegas NV
Larson, Swan + Gardiner
9005 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89117